Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Friday, February 3, 2017

FOODIE FRIDAY....OVERNIGHT OATS

Overnight oats aren't NEW to the blogging, pinterest, insta community....BUT they may intimidate you...DON'T let them!!! A few months ago my girlfriends and I had a meal prep day and one of the items on the menu was overnight oats. They were SHOCKED at how EASY and DELISH they were!! SO here I will give you a few options for overnight oats...variety is the SPICE of life...SO TRUE!!!


I like to experiment and try new things (oats are relatively in-expensive so if it sucks just start again!! BUT save this fir a day you are eating at home BECAUSE if you take them to work and they suck you'll be HANGRY).
Most recipes you'll find on-line include using almond, coconut or regular ol' milk as your liquid. You can do ANYTHING you want - water, milk, cream (this will give you a thicker more hearty oat BUT not diet friendly). I subbed the majority of my liquid for applesauce-  if you can use it in place of oil in recipes why not for oats?!?! Again, most recipes call for 1/4 cup of oats to a 1/2 cup of liquid...
For this particular recipe I used prepackaged oats & flax from Aldi....used a 1/4 cup of water and a 1/4 cup of UNSWEETENED apple sauce. Sprinkled some cinnamon and a pinch of coarse Chili salt for a lil kick (THIS IS MY ALL TIME FAVE "SECRET INGREDIENT").  Don't be afraid of salt -as with EVERYTHING in moderation it's perfectly fine, necessary and in fact salt aids in blood sugar control, it's a natural antihistamine, the body needs salt to maintain a proper PH in the stomach, lowers adrenaline spikes, improves sleep quality, encourages a healthy weight and fast metabolism, supports thyroid function - this is REAL people (the facts were found here http://empoweredsustenance.com/salt-is-good-for-you/). Of course I'm not suggesting you go out and buy a salt block to lick on daily and I have ZERO nutritional education (aside from trial and experiment on myself and research)
When choosing a healthy lifestyle (notice I did NOT say diet because that's just not REAL) sometimes you get a hankering for something sweet! Was the case this day....I used almond milk, added a teaspoon of Hershey's UNSWEETENED Cocoa and a half a banana...the banana helped bring out the sweet in the unsweetened chocolate!

Getting Started:
Gather your supplies (jars, ingredients). I will give you an amazing tip - I save jars from jams, cherries, salsa (you may not want to use that particular jar for your oats until after a million washes) and use these jars. If you don't want to be bothered with all that 9even though you are making YOUR green footprint a good one) you can purchase glass mason jars - sold er'where from Target to your local grocery store! 

I like to spend an afternoon food prepping - makes for an EASY week and y'all know by now how much I LOVE the 6P's!!
(see my overnight oats in the background?!?!)

If you have any other tips, tricks or fave recipes I'd LOVE to hear from you!! 

No comments: