Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Thursday, June 19, 2014

TRY IT THURSDAY...CHICAGO on a budget....LINCOLN PARK ZOO

I LOVE Chicago and the city...it can be expensive to be a tourist here (Navy Pier was a bit pricey BUT  next time we go I know what to do and not to do!!). 
LOOK at that city Skyline....

We stopped at #Sweet Mandy B's cupcakery....Cute lil vintage charm



Was featured on Chicago's Best (a tv show that highlights the yummy places to eat around the city)


I had the chocolate peanut butter cupcake

The kids had S'mores pie....

And my mom had an apricot bar....

 It was cute BUT would've been cuter IF the treats were served on fiesta ware in the pretty pastel ice cream colors (I came to realize on this trip that I really enjoy presentation and it makes a difference)
 We then headed out to Lincoln Park Zoo where the parking can be up to $35.00 for 5 hours or more....I don't know about you BUT I prefer to put that $35.00 toward a tasty treat or souvenir....SO my dad mentioned that there was parking along Stockton Drive at no charge (KEEP in mind that you may NOT find parking) BUT we did...we patiently waited for the lady to leave her spot and I quick parallel parked (I grew up in Chicago SO it was no biggie driving in traffic, parallel parking and walking a few blocks). SO we parked for free, got to explore the Lincoln Park Conservatory (free admission) GORGEOUS plants...


And walked a few feet over to Lincoln Park Zoo (free admission as well)



We monkey-ed around a bit...and by the end of the day we were ready to put our feet up and have a cold one!!

There are many ways to see the city at a discount (ALWAYS check groupon in your town or the town you are visiting to see what the specials are..for example - I checked my email yesterday and there was a groupon for the giant pirate sailboat for a discounted admission of $17.00 - we could've done that on Monday). Do YOU have any hotspots in CHICAGO that I should try next time I'm in town?!?!?

1 comment:

Twinkle Terrior said...

It was fun to see Chicago through your pics! My cousin lives in Oak Park, but I've never been to IL. (PS- loved your hat .. been looking for one like that )