Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Friday, August 7, 2015

FOODIE FRIDAY....BASIL INFUSED OLIVE OIL

At the beginning of summer I decided I wanted to be a "patio farmer" (because I don't have room for a garden SO I was going to make the best of it and farm my patio!!!). I planted basil, cilantro, tomatoes, green peppers, hot peppers, strawberries grew naturally{the water I used to soak the berries in...I used that to water my plants and strawberries grew!!}. It was a hard summer for my patio garden - too much rain, varmints, and crazy winds (knocked my planters down several times). So I didn't get the harvest I was anticipating (BUT I HAVEN'T GIVEN UP). 



I decided to harvest the lil bit of basil I had....


 Because I knew I wanted to try my hand at Basil Infused olive oil this summer (and knowing I grew it I knew there wasn't any pesticides on my leaves). I researched several methods and recipes and settled on one....
 Calling for 1/2 cup of basil leaves (cleaned and dried) which then required pressing with the back of a spoon (to release the natural oils)
 Added one cup of olive oil to the leaves....


And am storing in a jar on a sunny window for 2 weeks (shaking the oil everyday) and after 2 weeks I am to strain it and store in a (cork lidded container was recommended) glass bottle and will last me a few months. I am SO EXCITED to try the finished product!!!

Have you infused your own oils? How did it go? Tips and tricks totally appreciated!!!

No comments: