Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Friday, October 17, 2014

FOODIE FRIDAY...HOMEMADE Potato Soup

So every week over the summer I received a produce box fromAngelic Organics (If you've been here in foodie friday before you know what I'm talking about) there for a few weeks there were potatoes (like a 3lb bag) in every box...I cooked some, I grilled some, I gave some away and still have a bunch! I decided to make homemade potato soup...the recipe below is an amalgamation of several recipes I found on-line. 
I started by washing and peeling my potatoes...

I used some bacon grease and garlic herb butter to sautee garlic cloves, onions (I only halve them because my son HATES onions and this way I still get the flavor and they're easy to pick out :) )and thyme...


Once those were browned I added some chicken broth and flour to make a rue...
(every time I look at this pic all I see is boobs)

I poured the rue, the remainder of the chicken broth and water into the crockpot...added my roughly chopped potatoes, the onion halves....

Salt and pepper to taste and celery stalks....
 Once the potatoes were soft enough to stick a fork thru I scooped some out and let them cool...once cool I added them and some broth to the blender....

I then spooned the mixture BACK into the crockpot...I wanted you to see how pasty the potatoes looked after being blended....

I cooked on low for several hours....added bacon into about an hour before serving...

And VIOLA!!! There you have it - homemade potato soup!! This recipe contains no heavy cream and very little milk...I got my creamy texture simply by blending some of the potatoes (a hint from ONE of the many recipes I looked at. I wanted to be able to use what I had on hand and heavy cream wasn't one of the items).
I had hoped the produce boxes would have gotten me step outside my box and try new things...I have made 2 HOMEMADE from scratch item since I got the box, tried cabbage rolls (which were a HIT) had pico de gallo lots and while it's A LOT of work to wash, clean and prepare the veggies that come at ya all at once it was something I'd recommend again!!

No comments: