Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Friday, October 3, 2014

FOODIE FRIDAY....Homemade Tomato Sauce aka GRAVY

It's NO secret I am in LOVE with the Italian culture. The family, the food....Last week I was making pico de gallo with my organic produce



and like I always do I scooped out the inside of the tomatoes and then realized I could probably use those to make sauce...waste not want not...something is SO CHARMING about not wasting and reminiscent of the depression era....I had over 3dozen tomatoes that I had gotten in my produce box over the last 3 weeks...more tomatoes than one can eat in that short time...SO I went thru then and picked the soft ones....I quartered the tomatoes, added a whole onion (for flavor - my son doesn't like the onion pieces in sauces or food SO I've gotten smart and just put in a full onion) and several cloves of garlic....


Brought them to a boil and cooked on low for a few hours....

Let the mixture cool for a few hours and ran it thru the blender to puree the tomatoes further. then I poured the mixture thru a strainer to remove any seeds


The lighter watery mixture is the straight juices, the darker ticker sauce in the center is form teh tomatoes that were blended

I wanted to keep my sauce very organic ONLY adding fresh ingredients....I simply added basil from my garden...

And one italian sausage (that was pre-cooked) and simmered for several hours until it thickened....

I WISH I KNEW HOW TO CAN....because this sauce was a KEEPER!!! 

The next day I served it over spaghetti squash....

No comments: