Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Friday, December 9, 2011

The elves have been busy....

And by elves, I mean me!! Last weekend I went to Bath & Body for some holiday scented soap and mini hand sanitizers....I fell in love with the Christmas line of the sani-holders, particularly the one with the lil jingle bells around the top. It was $3.50....not awfully expensive BUT when put into perspective, that is the cost of a hand soap...so I opted for the hand soap for the bathroom and picked up a .50 pink glitter holder (KNOWING I could make my own as I already had the jingle bells on hand). So that's just what I did....

I started with these....vintage bells, Apple Wreath pocket bac (as I read that I am surprised it says apple because it smells like pine to me) and the holder.....
I got to work sewing 3 bells on each side (instead of the cluster of bells B&BW has around the top). The silicone was very forgiving and EZ to sew through....

Ta-DA!! My holly jolly .50 jingle-y bell pocket bac holder! These would make great lil gifts (you can sew anything on there!! Jewels, rhinestones, etc)

You know I LOVE me some leopard.....and it seems every year I come up with a new way to display the cards from friends and family. This year I am clipping them on baking twine (I will show that later). I needed something to hang them with...clothespins is the easy inexpensive answer. BUT I'm a girl who loves her glitz and glam, so what to do?!?!

Make them glitz-y and glam-y of course!! Here is what I came up with....

So EASY!! Here is my immediatley finished product....scroll down for directions....

Start with your pack of clothespins from the Dollar Tree (you get 36 -that's a steal!!). LEAVE the pins on the card they come on (SO much easier to handle them this way), gold glitter and black glitter, elmers glue, a paint brush and a vegetable box from your grocer to catch the glitter (this step isn't necessary, just makes for easy clean-up_ ....I used what I had on hand (which is cheap-y larger flecks of gold glitter - think middle school project glitter) and a black fine glitter by Martha Stewart. I actually think the contrast between the textures in the glitters helped to really make the piece!

Start by squirting a lil glue on each clothespin, spread with your paint brush....

Sprinkle with glitter.....let dry for several hours.....

After you have patiently waited watching the glue dry, you are ready for the next step....Use your glue again, BUT this time, you want to make lil circles and half circles to resemble leopard spots....they don't have to be perfect, just be easy with the glue and you'll be great! Once the spots are on, sprinkle with your black glitter....I found doing several at a time was easiest.
These would also be cute with zebra, pink leopard, etc! Have fun creating!

No comments: