Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Friday, March 27, 2015

FOODIE FRIDAY.....CLEANING PRODUCE

Anyone who knows me KNOWS I'm a bit of a germa-phobe.....The idea of a millions hands touching my produce GROSSES me out....
(when I first was living on my own I washed GROUND BEEF - can you BELIEVE that?!?!?! I only did that ONCE!! LOL). SO I googled how to clean produce and was satisfied with a vinegar / water solution (some stores sell "produce wash" BUT I prefer a more natural organic method).  Since I had SO MUCH to clean I did it in groups of like produce....

All the apples...
 

All the citrus fruits

I did 1/4 cup vinegar to 4 cups of water...soaked them for about 15 minutes....


ABOVE is the pic after all the sediment and wax and whatever else soaked off the fruits....I did give the fruits a good rub in the solution AND rinse in clean water before I set out to dry.....
My THEORY is that by having the fruits already cleaned we will reach for something fresh and healthy and it won't go to waste....It did take QUITE a bit of time BUT it will be time saved daily cleaning and processing the fruit....What's YOUR produce routine?!?!?

No comments: