Sassy and Shabby

For the love of all things Vintage

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Try It Thursday TIE DYE SKIRT

Once upon a time I had this white skirt - that I ADORED!! I LOVE to smell good and spritz perfume all over me AFTER I'm dressed....Any guesses how this story ends?!?!?
If you guessed yellow splotches all over the skirt from the perfume you are the winner winner chicken dinner!! I didn't want to throw the skirt away....SO I decided to try tie-dying it....

I used Tulip's Tie Dye Kit....

Like the package says - everything you NEED....

So after a lil on-line research I figured out HOW to achieve the pattern I wanted....
 I folded and rubber banded....
 (we did it outside because I didn't want the mess of the dye inside BUT it wasn't really messy) Hmmm...is this  going to work?!?!?
 The directions say to place in a bag and cover with dye (you need to let it sit for 6-8 hours in the bag)
 One CRUCIAL step we missed was wetting the fabric BEFORE applying to dye...it still worked and still took BUT we used 2 packs of dye v. one...

HERE is as after 12 hours (the 6-8 hour window didn't work for me!!)

LOVE LOVE LOVE the way it came out!!! And I got several compliments too - nobody could believe I dyed it (with the help of my LOVELY assistant daughter)

 I think on the agenda next will be tie dyed t-shirts and sweatshirts for my daughters sports activities!!


No comments: